WEDCO District Health Department & Home Health Agency  

Serving Harrison, Nicholas, Scott, and Bourbon County Home Health 

Radon

Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. Radon comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. Radon cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted. There are no immediate symptoms that will alert you to the presence of radon. It typically takes years of exposure before any problems surface and then it is too late. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.

 

How do you know if your home has radon?
Testing is the only way to know your home’s radon levels. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Surgeon General, American Lung Association, American Medical Association and National Safety Council all recommend testing your home for radon.


How do you test for radon?
Easy to use test kits are available free at your Local Health Department. These kits test for radon for a one(1) year period in your home. Then they will be sent off to determine the results.


What if your home has radon?
If you find that your home has high radon levels, there are relatively simple ways to reduce the concentrations to acceptable levels. The Local Health Department can provide informative material on lowering your radon level.