Food Program


Kentucky Food Code


WEDCO District Health Department's Food Handler Permits and Food Manager Permits can be obtained ONLINE at StateFoodSafety.com by taking an online course.

Permits can be printed after passing the online test.


Restaurant Inspections by County



          SCOTT COUNTY

Central office develops statewide retail food program plans, objectives, policies and procedures and helps local health departments carry out the food protection program in Kentucky.

Certified evaluation officers trained by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration provide training, consultation and guidance to local health departments. Local health departments are authorized to carry out the food safety program in the counties and districts they serve. Every county or district has a certified retail food specialist and all food inspectors are registered sanitarians.


Home-Based Processing/Farmers' Market Regulation


Kentucky law allows farmers to grow, harvest and process limited food products in their farm kitchens for sale at farmers markets, certified roadside stands and from the farm provided they grow the predominate agronomic ingredient.

Kentucky's farmers market regulations were developed jointly by the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service, the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, Kentucky Farm Bureau, local health departments and the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. These regulations describe the registration and certification processes for home-based processors and microprocessors.

Once registered, home-based processors may process whole fruit and vegetables, mixed-greens, jams, jellies, sweet sorghum syrup, preserves, fruit butter, fruit pies, cakes, cookies and bread in their farm kitchens.

Certified home-based microprocessors that meet further requirements of the regulation may grow, harvest and process acid foods, formulated acid food products, acidified food products and low-acid canned foods.

For more information or to receive an application packet, please contact Mark Reed by phone at 502/564-7181, extension 3677 or by This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .


Temporary Food Operations


All temporary food vendors must have a permit to operate.

Foods may be prepared and served in conjunction with gatherings or events such as fairs and festivals. Food items and methods of preparation may be restricted during these temporary events. All temporary food vendors must have a permit from the local health department prior to commencing operations. These permits are valid, if the establishment complies with regulations, for up to 14 days at one location. For more information and applications, please contact your local county health department

 Temporary Food Establishment Guidelines 


Other Food Safety Programs


For information on our other programs, please visit the links below:


Tanning Facility Document Examples